July 2022 - For our safety and yours we respectfully ask that patients & staff continue to wear masks while in our office. Click here to read all COVID-19 safety protocols.

When it comes to LASIK vision correction, who doesn’t want a LASIK guarantee of 20/20 vision? While a lifetime guarantee is ideal after LASIK surgery, it is simply unrealistic. Our extremely unique and complex bodies change with age and evolve based on the way we take care of ourselves. In the same way, the healing process is different for every LASIK patient.

Understanding the Difference between a LASIK Enhancement Policy and LASIK Guarantee

Qualified LASIK eye surgeons are excellent at predicting results through their extensive experience but cannot guarantee that their patients’ vision will not see any change over time. While LASIK enhancements policies do not make claims to be LASIK guarantees, they are the next best thing and provide a realistic and safe way for patients to regain 20/20 vision or better without incurring the full price of another surgery.

When is a LASIK Enhancement a Good Choice?

A patient may be eligible for a LASIK enhancement when the desired vision correction is not achieved from an initial LASIK procedure or if there is a decline in your vision over time.

Your eye surgeon’s assessment should be the most important factor when evaluating a LASIK enhancement. Does your surgeon feel confident that a second procedure is the right medical decision? Does your eye surgeon think that a LASIK enhancement is likely to improve your vision?

Not all patients qualify for a LASIK enhancement due to newly onset eye or health problems, but many do. Great surgeons set reasonable and clear expectations, listen to their patients, and offer medical recommendations that are best for each patient. Before you select your LASIK eye surgeon, read the fine print regarding “LASIK guarantees” or “LASIK enhancements”, vision requirements, LASIK technology, and annual eye exam requirements.

LASIK Enhancements with Providence Eye

There are two situations when a LASIK enhancement may be considered for Providence Eye patients. The first LASIK enhancement consideration is within the first year of the LASIK procedure.

When Dr. Mozayeni examines a patient’s eyes, he will be able to set reasonable expectations for each individual’s situation. 97% of the time, LASIK patients achieve 20/20 vision or better. Those patients who fall into the other 3% can typically still see well and on average range between 20/25 or 20/30 vision, which is legal to drive.

When 20/25 or 20/30 vision occurs after a LASIK procedure, it usually indicates that the patient needs a bit more laser correction through a LASIK enhancement. When Dr. Mozayeni performs a LASIK enhancement, the results are almost always perfect, and there are no additional costs within the first year. Some higher prescriptions have a slightly higher chance of needing this enhancement within the first year.

The 20/Happy Plan

The second time a LASIK enhancement is considered is if a patient has seen a slight decrease in their vision over time (typically a minimum of 10-15 years) and is unsatisfied with how they see each day.

At Providence Eye & Laser Specialists, Dr. Mozayeni believes in the 20/happy plan. There are no “vision requirements” to qualify for a LASIK enhancement with Dr. Mozayeni. Your enhancement policy does require you to have annual eye exams either with your regular eye doctor or with one of our optometrists at Providence Eye. If Dr. Mozayeni performed your LASIK eye surgery and you find yourself in this situation, review the enhancement policy that was provided to you on the day of your consultation, make sure you have a current eye exam and then call to schedule an appointment with him to discuss a LASIK enhancement.

If you are not 20/happy and are medically suited for a LASIK enhancement, Dr. Mozayeni will be happy to perform your enhancement for a nominal fee, which will cover laser royalty fees and materials. This is typically a couple of hundred dollars per eye.

When selecting a LASIK surgeon for your eye vision correction, it is important to understand the surgeon’s “guarantees” or enhancement policy.

Contact Providence Eye today to schedule your complimentary LASIK consultation or LASIK enhancement conversation with Dr. Mozayeni, whose top priority is to help you see more and live better through impeccable patient care.

Ready to get started?

Schedule a Free LASIK consultation with Dr. Mozayeni