Reasons Why You May Not Be A LASIK Candidate
If you are considering LASIK vision surgery, you are likely excited about the possibility of living life independent of contacts or glasses. If you have not been properly evaluated, you are probably wondering “What if I am not a LASIK candidate?” or “Why would I not be a good candidate for LASIK eye surgery?”.
There are hundreds of reasons why you may not be an ideal LASIK candidate. Only a qualified LASIK surgeon can tell you if you are a good LASIK candidate or not. There are three general categories and some specific circumstances that are not ideal to qualify as a LASIK candidate.
3 Reasons Why You’re Not an Ideal LASIK Candidate
‘Now’ may not be the right time in your life to have LASIK vision surgery. Some of the most common timing reasons are:
- You are not 18 years old. According to the FDA you must be at least 18 years old in order to have LASIK eye surgery.
- Your vision is not stable. Your distance vision must be the same for a 12-month period to be an ideal LASIK candidate.
- You have the onset of cataracts. If you have the onset of cataracts, then it is not the right time for you to have LASIK vision surgery. Your eye doctor should monitor your cataracts until they need to be removed.
2. Ocular (Eye) Health
If you have certain eye issues, then LASIK eye surgery may not be right for you now or in the future. A few examples of eye issues/disease are:
- Active eye infections such as Conjunctivitis (aka pink eye) or Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis (GPC)
- A chalazion, which is a lump in the upper or lower eyelid caused by inflammation of a gland of the lid. Once your eye doctor has treated the chalazion you can consider LASIK vision surgery.
- Uncontrolled glaucoma
- Thin or Abnormal corneas (both must be evaluated by a LASIK surgeon)
- Recent retinal tears and/or retina surgery
3. Whole Body Health
LASIK eye surgery is not just about your vision and your eyes. It is also about the health of your entire body. At Providence Eye & Laser Specialists, we require a full medical history at the time of your LASIK consultation. Some examples of non-ocular health conditions that may delay or make you a non-LASIK candidate are:
- In the stimulation phase of in-vitro fertilization (IVF)
- Uncontrolled diabetes (looking for A1C to be 7.0 or less)
- Autoimmune diseases (must be carefully discussed with physicians)
- Active Multiple Sclerosis
- Recently suffered from a stroke
- Cognitive impairment not able to sign medical consent
Ready to Find Out If You’re a LASIK Candidate?
If you are wondering if LASIK is right for you, a consultation at a reputable practice is the best way to get your answers. Do your research, read reviews, ask your friends, and then make the call to schedule your LASIK consultation. At Providence Eye, your consultation will be conducted by our LASIK surgeon, Dr. Reza Mozayeni. We will not pressure you to “sign on the dotted line”, because we understand that LASIK eye surgery is a very personal decision. Our goal is answer all of your questions, so that you can make the decision that is right for you.