How to Prepare for LASIK Before & On Surgery Day
Preparing for LASIK is very important for people who are about to have vision correction surgery. While modern advancements in technology make LASIK a predictable and comfortable outpatient procedure, prepping your eyes is vital for an optimal outcome. Your LASIK surgeon should provide you with clear, detailed pre-operative instructions. Here are some general helpful tips to ensure your eye surgery goes smoothly.
How to Prepare for LASIK - Before Treatment
A few weeks prior to treatment, you will need to swap out your contacts for glasses.
- Soft lenses should be left out of your eyes for 1 week prior to LASIK surgery.
- Toric lenses should be left out of your eyes for 3 full weeks prior to procedure day.
- Gas permeable lenses may need to be left out of your eyes for several months prior to LASIK surgery – make sure to ask your surgeon exactly what you should do regarding your specific case.
- Do not sleep with your contact lenses in for at least 3 weeks prior to LASIK treatment.
- One day before your procedure, begin using eye drops as prescribed. It is very important to keep your eyes moist when preparing for LASIK.
- Take an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drops 4 times a day. Also, make sure to bring these drops on the day of your procedure. You will also be using artificial tears often. Specific brands will be recommended.
How to Prepare for LASIK - The Day of LASIK Treatment
- Avoid Beauty Products – Do not use makeup, perfume, lotions, cologne or aftershave.
- Dress Comfortably – Wear warm, layered clothing and closed-toe shoes. Do not wear sandals or flip-flops. Make sure your clothing is something you would feel comfortable sleeping in so you will not need to change clothes to go to sleep once you return home. Do not wear any accessories in your hair.
- Bring A Driver – Since you will not be able to drive right after your surgery, make sure to bring a friend or family member along to drive you home.
- Eat a Light Meal or Snack – Shortly before you arrive at your LASIK appointment, eat a light snack or a small meal to keep you from getting hungry during or after the procedure.
- Avoid Caffeine & Drink Water – You will need to rest after your LASIK treatment. So, it is best to avoid caffeine or any other sugary food or drink that will make it difficult for you to sleep after the surgery. Drinking water helps keep your eyes moist, which will ensure that your eyes are comfortable after treatment.
- Bring Your Eye Drops – Bring antibiotic and anti-inflammatory eye drops with you on procedure day. In addition to being an important part of preparing for LASIK, it is always a good idea to bring them along on surgery day.
For more information on how to prepare for LASIK, or to schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Mozayeni to find out if you are an ideal candidate, contact our office today. We’ll help you see more, and live better!