What’s the Difference in $299 versus $2,200 for the Price of LASIK?
I’ll admit it; I like to bargain shop for things like trendy outfits, home accessories, my favorite munchies at the grocery store and some big-ticket items, like mattresses and cars. But when it comes to the medical care, especially something as valuable as vision correction and LASIK eye surgery, that’s when we should all carefully do our research before falling victim to a bait and switch campaign.
If you’re evaluating having LASIK eye surgery, you may have seen the prices of LASIK differ from $299 to $2,200 – so why the big price difference?
Does $299 LASIK Really Exist?
The short answer is yes. You may have seen or heard about the price of LASIK being $299 in certain advertising campaigns – so in theory, and in the world of advertising, $299 LASIK can exist.
But the real question should be how many people actually pay $299 for their LASIK surgery? The answer to that is not many!
The $299 LASIK price you see advertised is the bait to get you to call and schedule a consultation. Then upon completing a consultation, patients are hit with the actual price of LASIK eye surgery, which typically has hidden and additional fees for:
- Higher prescriptions
- Technology upgrades
- Post-operative care plans
- Enhancement plans
Where There’s $299 LASIK Eye Surgery, There’s Also:
In addition to understanding the true cost of LASIK, it is important to attempt to peek behind the curtain to see what else is going on at each practice you evaluate. Here are a few questions that will help you while evaluating LASIK eye surgery:
- Will you be the surgeon doing my LASIK eye surgery? In all likelihood the answer is no, and the person you are speaking with is a technician, or at best, an optometrist, who legally cannot perform LASIK in North Carolina.
- Do you perform all-laser LASIK or do you use a blade? Most likely the answer will be that they use a blade. Please note that LASIK is a two-step process. Step 1 makes the flap using a laser. Step 2 corrects your vision using a laser.
- Do you charge more for higher prescriptions?
- Do you charge more for astigmatism?
There are probably other corners that are cut that you can’t see and staff members may not even be aware of these type of issues:
- Are the diagnostic devices (such as corneal mapping) the most recent and precise?
- Have the lasers been regularly maintained?
- Has the laser software been upgraded as recommended by the manufacturer?
- Is there a power backup in case the power goes out in the middle of your surgery?
- Is the laser suite environmentally controlled per manufacturer's recommendations?
Many times, after all is said and done and the “deal” is “written up”, your price of LASIK will be close to, and may even exceed, that of a premier LASIK practice.
Is the $2200/eye Price of LASIK Worth It?
If you value your eyes – the only pair you’ll ever get – your answer will likely be yes, but ultimately you are the only one who can answer this question for yourself.
It is mission critical that you do all your research and educate yourself on the differences between $299 LASIK and $2200 LASIK. You will quickly learn that premier LASIK eye surgery practices are vastly different than the “bargain” centers.
Providence Eye & Laser Specialists is the premier LASIK facility in Charlotte, NC. So, how does our patient experience differ from other local $299 LASIK practices?
Meet Your Surgeon
Your free LASIK consultation will be performed by Dr. Mozayeni, the actual LASIK surgeon who would do your surgery.
Dr. Mozayeni is a board-certified ophthalmologist who is a fellowship-trained cornea specialist. Did you know LASIK is surgery on your cornea?
Corners are never cut at Providence Eye! Since the day Dr. Mozayeni opened his practice in 2003, he has been committed to having the most up-to-date state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment, such as the Pentacam and the WaveLight lasers. After several laser upgrades over the past 15 years, Dr. Mozayeni currently uses the WaveLight FS200 to make the flap and the WaveLight EX500 to reshape the cornea. These lasers are maintained on a regular basis and their software is up-to-date according to the manufacture’s specifications. Additionally, our laser suite is environmentally controlled with special air filtration and temperature control.
What You See is What You Get & What You Get is What You See
Transparency and honesty are two major tenants that guide Dr. Mozayeni as a person and a surgeon. Dr. Mozayeni will:
- Always treat you like an individual, never like a number
- Make medical recommendations to you as if you are a member of his own family
- Tell you if you are not an ideal LASIK candidate and explain why. He turns away about 20% of the people who come in for LASIK consultations.
- Provides simple straightforward pricing over the phone with NO bait and switch tactics
When it comes to real estate they say “location, location, location”. When it comes to LASIK eye surgery it should be “research, research, research”!
If you are ready to start your research, contact Providence Eye today and start your experience off with a real person answering the phone right here in Providence Eye’s South Charlotte office to schedule your FREE consultation with Dr. Mozayeni.